Pages

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

It's been a while

  For months I have thought about blogging, but haven't because...well...life.  We are still in the process of remodeling our home, and let me tell you...it's been interesting!  The latest project has been our bathrooms.  Just last month after we returned from our wonderful vacation in South Carolina, we got right back to work; switching bedrooms and living rooms with my mom.  Right after that fun move, my hubby and I got started with painting our bathrooms.  Yes that's right.  Bathroomssssssss.  We have two separate master bathrooms IN our bedroom. Go ahead...read that again (devilish smirk).  He painted his a grey (that is in our kitchen but will soon be changed..that's for another blog) and I painted mine a dark blue.  
    Ladies, have you ever wanted to have a room that was all yours and no one else's?  This is what that bathroom is for me.  That and the closet are the only spaces in the house that's completely mine.  ALL MINE!!!!  So I went for it with the color.  I'm not sure when it happened, but the gold fixtures have grown on me.  Soon, I was looking at everything gold.  However, I didn't take the plunge.  Now I wish I would have. I still have a chance with the faucet, but that won't happen for a while.  Don't get me wrong, I love silver.  It has that classic feel to it.  But there's something about the brass/gold that says "bold" to me.  Maybe next time I will trust all of my instincts.  Thankfully in a couple of years we are going to gut our bedroom, bathrooms, and closet and put actual dry wall in; never having to deal with that icky vinyl crap they put in these homes. So maybe at that time I will go with all brass ☺!  Ooooooo I can't wait!  But until then, it feels good to have it painted. I no longer have those leaves looking at me.  Why these companies think we want "wallpaper" like this in these homes just boggles my mind!  I mean, seriously.  There is nothing comforting about crappy vinyl walls with even crappier designs.
   I know there is a stigma when it comes to buying a single-wide or double-wide home.  But let's be real.  Unless we have tons of money in the bank, many of us cannot afford to buy those beautiful homes we long for.  I'm not putting anyone down who can.  Kudos to you if you do and can! For those of us who can't or just don't want to have the hefty mortgage to go along with it, we try to spend our money the best way we can.  Sometimes it's in a home that is smaller than we need, and sometimes it's in a home that is a manufactured home.  I will be completely honest.  At first, I didn't want to buy my parent's home.  I wanted something that was new and almost state-of-the-art.  But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that living here was not the end of the world.  It was our chance to put our own spin on the house, make it ours.  Now that I have been here for almost three years, I can't imagine living anywhere else.  I joke about moving, but only because I miss shopping.  I mean, you can only do so much online shopping ha.  But really, we have beautiful views of the bluffs in our back yard.  The front is lively with green grass and trees to go with it.  Later on in life we will have the opportunity to get our house lifted and put a basement underneath, along with adding a second garage. The existing garage will be my husband's work area, which he is very excited about! Wanna know the most exciting thing about this??    Of course you do!  By the time we do these wonderful things, our house will be more than partially paid off.  In my book, that's not too shabby for a couple living on one income (for now).  Now if I'm able to go back to work within the next year, many things will happen sooner than later.  But for now, I'm happy with the progress.  Another plus is my mother is putting her house on the land and will be right next door to us.  Our kids will literally just be able to walk across the lawn and go over to her house.  


  So going back to the bathroom...!  One of the things I love is that it doesn't feel like a manufactured home.  The strips are still in there (for now), but it feels like....home.  Even this living room I'm sitting in feels like home.  Just real quick, we took the strips out and painted this living room for my mom.  It was before we made the bedroom switch with her.  She wanted it painted a sage green, so we did.  There's a fireplace in here as well and she put up "shiplap".  The only thing that really needs to be changed is that doggone mantle.  It is hideous to me.  Again, thankfully that will be taken care of in a matter of months or years.  ANYWAY...Sitting in here is just so cozy.  My hubby recently put up the curtain rods we got from our wedding registry and I proudly put up my Pottery  Barn (got them on sale) curtains.  It really pulls the room together.  The only thing I'm missing is my cup of green tea.  So I guess what I was trying to say in the midst of all of this rambling is this.  The more work we put into this house, the less it feels like a manufactured home.  I'm very excited to see what else transpires with our other projects!  So! Until then, here are some pictures of the house so far. These aren't the best pictures, but that's okay.  I was just so happy to take them.  I promise better pictures when everything is all said and done!!  Hope you enjoy!


My bathroom





My hubby's bathroom


The cozy Living Room

The lanterns are there because I'm getting ready to decorate for Summer.

Product and color list:

My bathroom

Color: Archipelego - Sherwin Williams at Lowe's
 Mirror: Target
Light: Wayfair
All Fixtures: Gatco Latitude 2 - Lowe's
Towels: Kohl's from many years ago

Hubby's Bathroom

Color: Pussywillow - Sherwin Williams
All fixtures: Caldwell - Lowe's

Living Room

Color: Soften Green - Sherwin Williams
Curtains: Pottery Barn Cameron (no longer available in Ivory)
Curtain Rod: Target
Lantern: Pottery Barn (got it on clearance!!!)
Mantle:
Picture: Pottery Barn (honestly another steal)
Candlesticks: Kirkland's
Lanterns: Pottery Barn Outlet (but still available on their website)
Cone: Hobby Lobby


No comments:

Post a Comment