Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Daughter's Room Reno

I just wrote about my son's new room.  Now I get to write about my daughter's!  I have to be completely honest.  When we learned we were having a girl, I had no idea how I wanted to decorate.  My son is almost 10 so I've had nothing but boy stuff for the last 9 years.  Doing a girl's room was just foreign to me.  I knew what I liked, but it wasn't necessarily "in" for little girls.  I was lucky enough to find a bedding set on Craigslist for $45.  That was a bumper, three sheets, crib skirt, a bunch of changing table covers and a huge safety pin...which I still don't know what to do with.   So again, I relied on Pinterest....except I was let down.  It took me many months of shopping around, returning things, and shopping around some more.  But finally! After a trip to Hobby Lobby, I found some fabric.  By that time, Emma was here and we had just moved into my mom's house.  All she had for room was furniture and bedding.

I just have to say, I have always loved Potter Barn Kids but never took the plunge and bought anything big from there.  This time I decided "why not".  I first bought her the light pink twill curtains and was very excited.  However, after having them up for over a month I realized it wasn't the color I wanted.  There needed to be more of a pink color in her room.  Sadly, the ones I wanted to exchange them for were all gone...sad face.  So I looked at the fabric I had gotten from Hobby Lobby months ago and thought...hmm those would make great curtains.  AND! they go with her bedding!  Six yards later, along with blackout panels, her curtains were made.
Isn't this fabric lovely?
Voila! Blackout Curtains!!
The other thing I struggled with were decorations.  I couldn't find anything that didn't have elephants, owls, or any other animal in a picture for a girl.  I did love the idea of kites and hot air balloons.  That's where I found this.  I had already bought a couple of pictures from Hobby Lobby.  While I loved the colors, it just seemed too ornate to me.  I needed to keep her room sweet and simple.  Again, while looking on Pinterest, I stumbled upon Caravan Shoppe.  Immediately, I bought the prints, got them printed at Staples, and bought some picture frames from Target.  Love, love, love!!


Another place I love to shop is Ebay.  Oh yes, Ebay is my friend.  Not only have I scored a lot of Pottery Barn/Kids items, but it hasn't hurt our budget one bit!  That's where I found her letters.  We didn't take the strips off of her walls this time.  I wanted to get her room done and at that time, she wasn't sleeping through the night.  When she's older, we will go back in and take them down.


Again, I apologize for my lack of photography skills.  I'm starting to learn again.  

I knew there was more I wanted to do in her room, but wasn't sure what.  I saw a saying that fit her perfectly.  Though she be but little she is fierce.  And I also had a lot of left over fabric.  So I put it to good use.  This was my first time using the silhouette, but I'm still proud of it :).


Now we have a huge wall that has nothing on it, but soon will have some shelves.  When those get put up, she'll have these.

Every girl needs some flowers, right?  I did have a picture frame on the night stand, but took it off.  There isn't a picture in there yet.


So there's another room almost done!  Like my son's room, we have shelves to put up and then they will be completely done for now.  Later on, we plan on putting up new trim, baseboards, and new flooring in their rooms.  Until then, I'm very happy with what we have done thus far.  Next up?  The main bathroom!


Where everything came from

Fabric and canvas: Hobby Lobby

Bed and Dresser: Given to us, but can be found at Pottery Barn Kids

Letters: Ebay

Pictures: Caravan Shoppe "Fly Away"

Picture Frames: Target

Bedding: Craigslist (Pottery Barn Kids Sophie from 2009 or earlier)

Lamp shade and Base: Pottery Barn Kids

Flowers: Michael's



1 comment:

  1. You worked very hard on those curtains and they look great!

    ReplyDelete